A car fire destroyed a Gorham carwash and caused extensive damage to an adjacent convenience store late Friday afternoon.

The three-alarm fire started about 4:15 p.m. at 601 Main St., also known as Route 25, at the TNT Quick Stop gas station, carwash and convenience store. No one was injured.

The fire closed down Route 25 between Bartlett and Mosher streets until shortly after 5 p.m., and at least five fire departments were on the scene. The fire was extinguished by 6 p.m.

Robert Lefebvre, chief of Gorham Fire & Rescue, said the probable cause was an electrical short-circuit in the dashboard of a car that was being washed at the time.

“The vehicles today are made of a lot of plastic,” Lefebvre said, “and plastic, when it heats, it returns to its natural form, which is oil. It doesn’t take much. Once you get any type of fire at all and it starts burning the plastic, it’s an oil fire. The plastic just feeds it, and it only takes a couple or three minutes for it to really get going.”


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under:

Kennebec Journal & Morning Sentinel news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.