A Richmond family was expected to spend at least one night away from home after a cooking fire in the kitchen of its Langdon Road home Monday spread into the cabinets.

After the blaze was first reported at 1 p.m., firefighters prevented it from spreading beyond the kitchen, said Richmond Fire Chief Matt Roberge. They were able to put it out in about 15 minutes.

With the exception of the smoke and water damage to the kitchen, the home was not badly affected by the fire, Roberge said, and no one was injured.

The American Red Cross of Maine responded to the scene to provide relief to the family, the organization indicated in a news release Monday.

“A local Red Cross Disaster Action Response Team member is assisting those who have been displaced by the home fire,” Red Cross of Maine spokesman Justin Burkhardt said in the release. “The Red Cross will ensure they have a safe place to sleep tonight, food and other essentials. Over the next several days, the Red Cross will stay in contact with the family to provide financial assistance and community referrals, as they begin their road to recovery.”

Charles Eichacker — 621-5642

[email protected]

Twitter: @ceichacker


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.