STRONG — An early morning fire Wednesday in Strong was caused by a heat lamp, according to the Office of State Fire Marshal.

The lamp was being used to warm chickens in a barn, according to Sgt. Joel Davis, and faulty wiring sparked a fire just before 3 a.m.

The barn on 100 North Main St. was destroyed, but firefighters saved the single-family home that was connected to it.

Crews battled the flames for five hours, according to Strong Fire Chief Duayne Boyd. At one point, the fire got into the home through the connecting area near the kitchen. Interior crews had to go into the house and fight the fire from the inside.

While Boyd said there is a lot of water and smoke damage, but the main structure of the house was saved.

“It was great teamwork by all departments,” he said. The Farmington, Phillips, New Vineyard and Wilton fire departments all assisted at the scene.

The barn contained woodworking materials and machinery, as well as 15 to 20 chickens, which were all lost in the fire, Boyd said. No people were injured in the fire.

The homeowners, brother and sister Frank and Gayle Donahue, have insurance on the building.

Madeline St. Amour — 861-9239

[email protected]

Twitter: @madelinestamour


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: