A fire started in the walls of a home in Mount Vernon on Sunday evening, apparently as a result of an electric problem.

But the damage was limited and firefighters were at the home for less than an hour, according to Dana Dunn, chief of the Mount Vernon Fire Department.

Several fire departments were initially called to the home at 1137 North Road around 6:20 p.m. on Sunday, but some of them were called off, Dunn said.

Just the Mount Vernon and Readfield fire departments made it to the scene.

“I understand that it was contained to the wall,” said Dunn, who was out of town and heard about the call from one of his deputies.

Charles Eichacker — 621-5642

[email protected]

Twitter: @ceichacker

filed under:

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.