ROCKLAND — A dog perished in a house fire early Thursday morning in Rockland.

The fire was reported at 12:20 a.m. at 120 North Main St.

The home’s owner and another occupant were able to get out safely but without their cellphones, said Rockland Fire Chief Chris Whytock, resulting in a seven- to- eight-minute delay while one of the occupants banged on neighbors’ doors to get the fire called in.

Meanwhile, the other occupant stood at the back door of the burning house in hopes of helping the dog escape, but “the fire had a pretty big head start,” Whytock said.

Firefighters battle the blaze at 120 North Main St. in Rockland Thursday morning.

Flames were still visible more than a half-hour after first responders arrived and smoke was still billowing out of both the first and second floors windows.

Firefighters were hindered in their efforts by the presence of personal belongings blocking doors and windows, the chief said.

Neighbors were outside watching the firefighting efforts early in the morning. The intersection of North Main and Broadway was blocked by fire trucks, ambulances, and police cruisers.

The two-story house was built in 1910 and has an assessed value of $91,600, according to city assessment records, which list the owner as Peter Hart of Rockland.

Thomaston, Rockport, and South Thomaston crews and a Northeast Mobile Health Services ambulance were at the scene along with Rockland crews. Warren responders manned the Rockland and Thomaston stations during the fire.

The fire is under investigation.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.