A chimney fire at a house on Bass Road in Madison quickly turned into a full-fledged structure fire Wednesday, destroying the house and leaving an older couple and their three dogs homeless.

About 25 firefighters from several towns went to the scene of the fire, reported at 8:51 a.m. at the home of Francis and Marlene Plourde, according to Madison fire Chief Don French.

The Plourdes were at the scene when Madison firefighters arrived, and fire was visible from the two-story house, he said.

French said the couple, who lost nearly everything, will be staying with relatives Wednesday night.

“They can salvage a few things, but not much,” he said. “They lost all of their clothes.”

The home, which had a wood stove, was insured, according to French.

Bass Road is off Hayden Road, which is off U.S. Route 201 near Lakewood Golf Course.

Firefighters from Madison and Skowhegan were joined at the scene by firefighters from Anson, Norridgewock, Solon and Athens; and firefighters from Starks and New Portland staffed the Madison and Anson fire stations, according to French.

“We had good mutual aid,” he said. “Madison got on scene, with Skowhegan right behind us. We had plenty of water. Once more people got there, we were in good shape.”

French said firefighters quickly knocked down the majority of the fire, but they had to go into extended areas to put out smaller ones.

The American Red Cross, Maine, was contacted to help the Plourdes, according to French. A news release from the Red Cross issued late Wednesday afternoon says disaster responders were working with two people to ensure they have food, a safe place to sleep and other essentials after the Madison fire.

“Over the next several days, the Red Cross will be in contact with them to provide financial assistance and community referrals as they begin to make their road to recovery,” the release says.

Central Maine Power Co. was at the fire scene to cut power to the house, and Somerset County sheriff’s officials and A&M Ambulance workers also were there, French said.

Francis Plourde suffered a cut to his head, French said, and was examined at the scene but did not require medical attention.

A garage on the couple’s property was unaffected by the fire, according to French.

He said firefighters left the scene around noon Wednesday.

Amy Calder — 861-9247

[email protected]

Twitter: @AmyCalder17

filed under:

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.