RICHMOND — Two men have been arrested on felony assault charges after an altercation at a New Year’s Eve party.

Trevor Korineck, 23, of Richmond, was arrested by Richmond police on Jan. 9 and was charged with aggravated assault and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Jay Underwood, 26, of Dresden, was arrested the next day in Bath and was charged with aggravated assault and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

According to the affidavits for arrest warrants for Korineck and Underwood by Richmond police Officer Christopher Gilles, shortly before midnight the Sagadahoc County dispatch center received a number of 911 calls reporting an assault.

When police from Richmond, Sagadahoc County and the Maine State Police arrived at 114 Stable Road where a large celebration was taking place, they interviewed a 21-year-old Freeport man who had injuries on his face.

The man said he had stepped outside the party, where a fight had taken place, and was struck on the head with a brick by a man he identified as Underwood. He said Underwood continued to hit him after he fell, and another man he identified as Korineck kicked him in the head before he lost consciousness.


Gilles wrote that a 22-year-old Harpswell man saw the alleged attack and tried to intervene, and then Korineck struck him in the head with a brick. As that victim tried to fight them off, the affidavit says, Korineck and Underwood continued to kick the first man, who was still lying on the ground, in the head. Others intervened.

Gilles wrote that when he arrived, he found Underwood hiding in the bathroom of 112 Stable Road but didn’t arrest him because it was unclear whether he was involved, and he refused to provide any details when asked.

Gilles said he interviewed a witness and both victims on Jan. 2 after they were released from the hospital.

Richmond police Chief Scott MacMaster said Korineck and Underwood are believed to be acquainted.

Korineck is being held in Two Bridges Jail in Wiscasset in lieu of $1,000 cash bail. A hearing on a motion to amend bail has been scheduled for Jan. 22 at the courthouse in West Bath. Underwood was released on $500 cash bail.

As a condition of their bail, both Korineck and Underwood are to have no contact with either victim or the witness.

Jessica Lowell — 621-5632

jl[email protected]

Twitter: @JLowellKJ

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: