AUGUSTA — About $8,000 in damage was done to a garage at 119 Cony St. following a fire Saturday morning.

Battalion Chief John Bennett said a “small, unauthorized recreational fire” that was too close to a detached garage was the cause of the blaze.

Bennett said recreational fires don’t require a permit, but it needs to be contained in an approved container with a spark-arresting screen and not be within 25 feet of any structure.

Bennett said an all-hands call was struck, which calls off-duty firefighters to work, but the on-duty crews controlled the fire without their help.

Bennett estimated about $5,000 worth of belongings were destroyed and about $3,000 of damage was done to the structure.

 


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.