The three-story Readfield Masonic Hall and George Manter’s drug and grocery store, far right, as they looked in 1915 before a major fire on June 11, 1921. This entire block of buildings was destroyed by the fire, as were several other structures at Readfield Corner. Contributed photo

A Readfield History Walk is to take place Friday, June 11, on the 100th anniversary of a devastating fire that destroyed nearly every building at Readfield Corner.

Dale Potter-Clark and Bill Adams, who have thoroughly researched the areas in and around Readfield Corner, will point out locations that were impacted and share stories about that fateful day. They will also include information about a second fire that destroyed a different part of Readfield Corner in 1934.

Business owners who were burned out were inspired to rebuild by the Masons, who began rebuilding their three-story high building two short months after the fire. Lafayette Masonic Lodge 48, which encompasses the second and third floors of the “Masonic Block,” will be open for a tour at the culmination of the history walk. A new historic site marker will also be unveiled and dedicated on that day, in recognition of the event 100 years ago.

Those who plan to attend are asked to meet by 10 a.m. at the rear of the parking lot behind the Masonic Block, which also houses the U.S. Post Office. Car pooling is recommended. Participants will proceed by foot from there around the center of town. Walking is on level ground or a slight incline with stops along the way.

In case of rain, postponement will be announced by 8 a.m. June 11 at readfieldhistorywalks.blogspot.com and via email. To be added to the Readfield History Walkers email list, send a request to [email protected].

There is no fee or registration necessary for this event. For more information about history walks, visit the above website, contact Potter-Clark at the above email address, or call 207-441-9184.

The society museum and archives is located at 759 Main St., Readfield Depot, and is open by appointment. To make arrangements for an appointment or tour, call 207-377-2299 or email [email protected].

This is the same area where the block of buildings was located in the above photo on the morning after the June 11, 1921 fire. A Readfield History Walk of Readfield Corner is planned for June 11 on the 100th anniversary. Contributed photo