A Sidney man was arrested at gunpoint Sunday after he allegedly threatened to kill himself and shot a gun while lying on the ground, according to police.

Michael Wayne Sprague, 44, was arrested on charges of reckless conduct with a dangerous weapon, obstructing report of a crime and discharging a firearm within 100 yards of a dwelling, according to Lt. Chris Read of Kennebec County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputy Jeffrey Boudreau responded to a report of a man threatening to kill himself with a loaded firearm at 10:44 a.m. Sunday on West River Road in Sidney, according to Boudreau’s affidavit.

Boudreau said he learned on the way there that Sprague was outside with the firearm and had fired the gun, but might have no longer had the gun with him.

Boudreau said that just prior to his arrival, he also had learned Sprague had gone back into the house and that there was yelling. Dispatchers had heard what they described as “dragging noises.”

Boudreau and another deputy arrived outside the house and confirmed with a woman outside at the property that she had called 911, and Sprague came into Boudreau’s view near the house.


The man allegedly said “something along the lines of, ‘So this is what you want,'” Boudreau wrote in the affidavit.

The deputy said he then pointed his rifle at Sprague and took cover behind the door of his cruiser. He said Sprague complied with his commands and was taken into custody.

Police located a pistol next to the driveway, about 10 feet away from Sprague. Police said the gun was loaded and a spent shell was found nearby.

The woman who said she had called police said Sprague became upset after he found out she was “sexting,” which is the use of text for sexually suggestive messages, with another man.

She said Sprague opened a safe and loaded a 9 mm pistol and threatened his own life with the gun. She also said Sprague did not threaten her with the gun, but did push her away when she tried to take the gun away from him.

He then went outside and fired the pistol while he laid on the ground, according to reports.

The woman said she could not initially call 911 because Sprague had her phone with him, although Sprague told police his phone was on the counter and she could have used it to call for help.

After being arrested, Sprague was taken for evaluation at MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta and then to the Kennebec County Correctional Facility, also in Augusta. His bail has bene set at $5,000.

Comments are not available on this story.