A heavy police presence was reported Wednesday on North Pond Road in Winslow. Shannon Moss, public information director for the Maine Department of Public Safety, confirmed around 5 p.m. that the state police’s tactical and crisis negotiation teams were on the scene helping Winslow police. Anna Chadwick/Morning Sentinel

WINSLOW — Roughly nine hours after a Winslow man started a standoff with police, he surrendered and was taken into custody.

It was not immediately clear what sparked the standoff, but reports of a heavy law enforcement presence on North Pond Road surfaced Wednesday afternoon.

Shortly after 5 p.m., Shannon Moss, public information officer for the Maine Department of Public Safety, confirmed that Maine State Police tactical and crisis negotiation teams were assisting Winslow police with a barricaded subject.

About a dozen police cars, both marked and unmarked, were parked in a field next to a two-story home on North Pond Road which was near the home where the man had barricaded himself. A Winslow Fire and Rescue truck and an ambulance were also at the scene.

North Pond Road is between Abbott and China roads, just east of Pattee Pond.

Neighbors said the standoff had been going on since about 11 a.m. Wednesday.


Just before 6 p.m., police used a loudspeaker to communicate with the man in the house at 167 North Pond Road, urging him to come out and telling him no one wanted to see him get hurt.

Shortly before 7:30 p.m., the  man in the home apparently stepped outside with a baseball bat and a knife in his hand, but refused to put them down and yelled at police. After a few minutes, he turned on the porch light, and police tried to coax him to come out through the front door.

Less than 10 minutes later, a boom was heard. Police urged the man to stop moving and drop the knife he was carrying. At that point members of the tactical team were seen approaching the home, and a series of bangs were heard and the windows in the home were shattered. Police were heard to say over the loudspeaker that they weren’t shooting live rounds at the house, but they were trying to get his attention.

Shortly before 8 p.m., the man left the house and dropped the baseball bat, and police escorted him down the driveway.

A call to Winslow Public Safety Director Leonard Macdaid was not immediately returned Wednesday night.

Editor’s note: The address of the standoff has been updated.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: