RICHMOND — A fire Christmas night that started around a wood stove badly damaged a Plummer Road home.

Richmond Fire Chief Andrew Pierce said nobody was injured in the fire.

The 1 1/2 story home at 218 Plummer Road sustained fire, smoke and water damage, primarily to a wall and ceiling around the wood stove. Pierce estimated the fire caused $20,000 in damage.

The few personal belongings that were damaged can likely be salvaged, Pierce said.

Susan Richardson, who owns the home, has insurance, Pierce said. Richardson was living with a friend in a neighboring town.

The fire broke out around 10:45 p.m., Sunday.

“It was called in as a chimney fire,” Pierce said. “When I arrived flames were coming through the back wall and trying to get through the roof.”

Firefighters from Litchfield, Dresden, Bowdoinham and Bowdoin were called to help put the fire out, but Richmond firefighters were able to douse the flames in about 25 minutes, just as the first mutual aid trucks arrived.

“The guys did a good job of knocking it down,” Pierce said.

Pierce said the fire started in the area where the stove pipe connected to the chimney.

“It was somewhere around the thimble, where the two meet, is where it started,” he said.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.