ST. ALBANS — A family of five adults was left homeless Sunday night after fire ripped through their two-story frame house on Magoon Road, about three miles from the village center.

The oldest member of the family — said to be the grandmother — was taken to a hospital for observation after becoming emotionally upset by the fire, St. Albans Fire Chief Jason Emery said Monday. Her condition was not considered life threatening.

Emery said the adults ranged in age from 50 to 81 and are brothers and sisters who were apparently taking care of their grandmother.

“I think it’s a total loss — the whole back of the house was destroyed,” Emery said. The rest of the house was damaged by heat and water, he said.

Emery said flames were showing when about 40 firefighters from four area towns arrived just after 7:15 p.m.

“They did what they could to try to put it out, but it was more than what they could contain themselves,” Emery said.

Emery said because someone was taken to the hospital, the Office of State Fire Marshal was called to assist in the investigation. An investigator was at the scene Sunday night and is expected to return Monday evening.

Emery said he didn’t know how the fire started, but it appeared to originate in an upstairs bedroom. Fire crews from St. Albans, Hartland, Corinna and Canaan were called to the scene, with Harmony and Skowhegan put on standby. The origin of the fire is not considered to be suspicious.

The American Red Cross is helping family members with temporary housing, Emery said. The building was not insured.

Doug Harlow — 612-2367

[email protected]

Twitter: @Doug_Harlow

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.