A Massachusetts man was killed Friday night when his car struck another vehicle head-on and then burst into flames after a high-speed police chase in Oxford County.

William Stella, 36, of Stoneham, Massachusetts, was spotted doing doughnuts and driving recklessly outside Crazy 8’s, a bar in South Paris, shortly after 11 p.m., according to a news release from the Oxford County Sheriff’s Office.

Cpl. Christopher Davis first tried to pull over Stella’s car, a Nissan 350Z two-door sports car, but Stella took off at a high speed.

Davis followed with his lights and sirens on, but Stella did not pull over. He repeatedly traveled in the opposite lane and sometimes veered onto the dirt shoulder during the pursuit, which reached speeds of 85 mph, the sheriff’s office said.

Stella then turned his headlights off and traveled in complete darkness in an attempt to elude the deputy. Davis, who was concerned about the safety of other vehicles that might be on the road, did not continue the chase and lost sight of Stella momentarily.

A short time later, the deputy came upon a fiery crash on Route 118 near Watson Road in Norway. Police said Stella’s speeding vehicle had slammed into a Hyundai sedan driven by Jennifer Clough, 42, of Norway. Stella lost control of his car, which spun around in the road and collided with Clough’s car head-on.

Stella’s car came to rest in woods along the road and caught fire. Police were not able to extricate him from the car because of the flames and he died in the blaze.

Clough’s car also caught fire but Davis and a Norway police officer who had responded to the scene were able to free Clough from the wreckage.

The woman was taken to Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston with non-life threatening injuries to her legs. Her condition was not available Saturday evening.

The accident remains under investigation, but Oxford County authorities believe alcohol may have been a factor. Police said Stella had been in an altercation at Crazy 8’s because staff would not allow him in. Staff then called a family member to pick him up, but he refused to leave with that family member and instead got into his own vehicle, the sheriff’s office said.

Route 118 was shut down until 5 a.m. Saturday while crews cleared the scene.

filed under: