A 57-year-old woman was critically burned when she decided to smoke a cigarette while on oxygen, the state Fire Marshal’s office said.

Catherine Swidzinski is in critical condition at Maine Medical Center in Portland after the 8 a.m. fire was reported in Auburn.

There was minor fire damage to the apartment. Oxygen is highly flammable, and can cause serious injuries and explosion when exposed to heat or flame.

Comments are not available on this story.

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.