A fire on Hilton Hill Road in Skowhegan on Monday night destroyed a garage and its contents, but firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to a nearby house, according to the Skowhegan fire chief.

The fire at 28 Hilton Hill Road was spotted around 7 p.m. by a passerby who alerted the homeowner that their garage was on fire, said Fire Chief Shawn Howard.

The name of the homeowner was not immediately available.

The fire was accidental and the cause was likely electrical, Howard said.

He said the garage was destroyed and there was some minor damage to the house nearby, but it is still “completely habitable.”

No injuries were reported. Howard said the property owner does have insurance on the garage.

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under:

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.