WINSLOW — A fire Thursday night appeared to have damaged a two-unit apartment building on Halifax Street and shut down the road to traffic as firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze.

Stephan Hutton, who rents an upstairs apartment at the building at 9 Halifax St., said he was home when the fire broke out just before 5 p.m. in a bedroom.

He said he and his wife have had problems with squirrels in the attic, where he thinks the fire started, and earlier in the day Thursday he heard a buzzing sound coming from a light fixture in the bedroom.

Hutton said he thinks there was damage to the attic and bedroom.

“I don’t know how far it spread before I evacuated,” he said.

One other person lives in a downstairs apartment, Hutton said.

Further information was not immediately available at the scene.

Rachel Ohm — 612-2368

[email protected]

Twitter: @rachel_ohm


Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: