NEW SHARON — A Readfield man accused of punching a homeowner in the face and “causing significant facial fractures” and attempting to push him off a second-story balcony Sunday was arrested at his residence after a standoff with police, according to a news release from state police Sgt. Peter Michaud.

Logan Gardner Franklin County Detention Center photo

State police troopers responded to a residence on Mile Hill Road in New Sharon about 8:42 p.m. for a report of a burglary and assault, according to Michaud.

The suspect, Logan J. Gardner, 26, of Readfield, arrived at a family member’s residence where he was barred from entering because of bail conditions for a domestic violence assault charge.

State police later arrested Gardner following a standoff in Readfield on charges of burglary, aggravated assault and violation of conditions of release. Upon review of the case, the Franklin County District Attorney’s Office changed the burglary charge to aggravated criminal trespass, according to the booking sheet.

Troopers were nearby on Mile Hill Road on Sunday night and arrived a short time after receiving the 911 call, but Gardner had already left in a vehicle before police arrived.

It was determined that Gardner climbed through a second-story window and entered the house, Michaud wrote. The homeowner confronted Gardner and tried to call the police.


“Gardner attacked the homeowner and punched him in the face numerous times causing significant facial fractures as well as tried to push him off a second-story balcony,” according to Michaud. “Troopers remained with the victims throughout the entirety of this incident while they received medical attention and until Gardner was apprehended.”

Trooper Andrew Hardy is the primary investigator.

Several other troopers immediately responded to Gardner’s residence on Gorden Road in Readfield, where they discovered his vehicle parked in the driveway. The victims received a call from Gardner’s family member stating Gardner was in possession of a firearm at their residence on Gorden Road, Michaud wrote.

“Troopers attempted numerous calls to contact the family members and Gardner that were unsuccessful.  The Maine State Police Tactical and Crisis Negotiation teams responded and after a several hour standoff, Gardner surrendered and was taken into custody,” according to Michaud.

Gardner was taken to a local hospital for medical evaluation and then to the Franklin County Detention Center in Farmington.

Assisting state police were deputies from the Franklin County and Kennebec County sheriff’s offices, Readfield and New Sharon fire departments, NorthStar EMS and Winthrop Ambulance services.

Gardner was released from jail Monday on $2,500 bail.

A conviction for aggravated assault is punishable by up to 10 years in prison; a conviction for aggravated criminal trespass is punishable by up to five years in prison; a conviction for violation of conditions is punishable by up to six months in jail.

Comments are not available on this story.