The remains of a charred trailer home Tuesday in Unity. The property at 30 Turner Court was destroyed in a fire Saturday night. Rich Abrahamson/Morning Sentinel Buy this Photo

UNITY — A 38-year-old Unity man was charged for attempted murder and arson Wednesday in connection with a Dec. 22 fire, according to Maine State Police.

Derek Creasy was arrested in connection with the first of two fires at 30 Turner Court by investigators from the Maine Office of the State Fire Marshal after deputies from the Waldo County Sheriff’s Department and agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms executed a search warrant at an apartment building at 369 School St.

Creasy was taken to the Waldo County Jail. Investigators also secured a 2009 Toyota Camry, which was taken to Augusta for additional examination.

The Dec. 22 fire was the first of three fires in six days in Unity.

A second fire at 30 Turner Court on Saturday destroyed a mobile home and displaced a single man who declined to have his name appear in print. The Turner Court resident was not at home at the time of the second fire.

Fire investigators work along the back side of the United Methodist Church on Tuesday in Unity following a fire that damaged the church Monday night. Rich Abrahamson/Morning Sentinel Buy this Photo

A Monday night fire at the United Methodist Church at 29 Depot St. caused smoke and fire damage throughout the church. The fire was believed to have started in the basement.

Firefighters saved a 150-year-old Bible, which suffered minor water damage, but no one was injured in the fire.

Investigators from the state fire marshal’s office were at the church Tuesday processing the scene. The causes of the two most recent fires remain under investigation.

Anyone with information about the fires is asked to call 207-624-7076 and speak to Sgt. Joel Davis.


Morning Sentinel reporter Amy Calder contributed to this report.

Related Headlines

Comments are not available on this story.

filed under: