WATERVILLE — A candle left burning on a bureau in a dormitory room at Colby College today caused a fire that damaged items in the room and prompted evacuation of the building.

Fire Chief David LaFountain said a working sprinkler system extinguished the fire in the first-floor dorm room and kept it from spreading to the rest of the building, known as East Quad.

“What could have been a big issue is not,” LaFountain said at the scene. “We didn’t apply water to this; the sprinklers took care of it.”

The fire was reported at 9:39 a.m. Around 10 a.m., students huddled outside the East Quad, at least one wearing a bathrobe, while firefighters worked at the scene.

“The candle burned down the top of the bureau and caught some clothes on the floor on fire and caught a closet door that was open,” LaFountain said. “So, there’s burn damage to walls and a door, but overall, without sprinklers, it would have been a lot worse.”

Three students share the dorm room, and no one was there when the fire broke out, according to the chief.
 

Augusta and Waterville news

Get news and events from your towns in your inbox every Friday.


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.