AUGUSTA — Maine health and wildlife officials are recommending that people who encounter dead wild animals to be cautious.

That advice comes after Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife and University of Maine Animal Health Lab examinations turned up lungworms in moose found dead in late winter. Further investigation revealed small tapeworms that could be passed on by coyotes, foxes or domestic dogs.

Humans may become infected by ingesting eggs of the parasite picked up by contact with canid feces.

Biologists say it’s likely those tapeworms have been around for years with no apparent problems.

Still, officials are recommending care in dealing with dead animals, including wearing rubber or latex gloves when field dressing game, and thoroughly cooking any wild game meat that will be consumed.

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.

filed under: