FAIRFIELD — The remains from a recent pregnancy found Monday in a garage next to a mobile home on Norridgewock Road were those of a full-term baby boy, Maine State Police said Wednesday.

“The body has been examined by the state Medical Examiner’s Office and additional testing is taking place,” Steve McCausland, spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety, said Wednesday afternoon in a news release.

The baby’s parents, Kayla Stewart, 20, and Nicholas Blood, 25, have cooperated with the investigation and were interviewed by state police detectives, McCausland said.

“The couple lived at the mobile home along Route 139 with their 3-year-old daughter, who is now staying with other relatives,” McCausland said. “Detectives have been gathering evidence from the home and detached garage since Sunday and that work is expected to be completed tonight.”

Asked about the cause of the baby’s death, McCausland said “work continues by the medical examiner’s office.” In addition, McCausland said state police planned to remain investigating at the home through Wednesday evening and then to return its occupancy back to the couple.

The Maine State Police Major Crimes Unit searched the home on Tuesday and vehicles outside it.


Detectives were called Sunday to the mobile home, but McCausland would not say why they initially were called there.

At the home this week, yellow crime scene tape was tied to both mirrors of a state police sport-utility vehicle and tied to trees on either side of the driveway, blocking off the entrance. Tuesday afternoon, police officials searched the interior and trunks of a gray four-door sedan and a smaller black car parked in the driveway.

A single Fairfield police cruiser was parked in the driveway Wednesday.

Fairfield police dispatcher Jeanne Kempers said Wednesday afternoon that a Fairfield officer was posted at the scene from about 5 a.m. Wednesday to about 1 p.m. to help secure the scene — to make sure no one entered it — and a state police trooper then took over.

Neighbors said Blood and Stewart moved into the light blue mobile home five or six months ago with a little girl of toddler age.

Dana Lewis, a nurse who lives next door, said she and her family arrived home Sunday night and saw a lot of vehicles at the mobile home, but it was dark and they could not see well; they learned later that the vehicles belonged to the police. She said state police were at the mobile home all night Monday.


The mobile home is on a busy stretch of Route 139, where big trucks and cars whiz by.

Amy Calder — 861-9247

[email protected]

Twitter: @AmyCalder17

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or login first for digital access. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.