AUGUSTA — Authorities have identified one of those arrested Sunday following an altercation in which gunshots were exchanged in the Wal-Mart parking lot as a person with “a lengthy criminal history” with aliases in three states, according to an affidavit filed Wednesday at the Capital Judicial Center.

A prosecutor confirmed that a second man had identified himself correctly to police and jail authorities.

The man who gave the name of Kweasia “Reggie” McBride, 45, of Harlem, on Sunday and Monday has since been identified as Reginald L. McBride, 38, of New York City, through the National Crime Information Center database, according to authorities.

The state, through Deputy District Attorney Paul Cavanaugh, sought to correct the name on the criminal complaint filed Monday, which charges McBride with aggravated trafficking in heroin and reckless conduct with a firearm.

The court filing says, “At the time the defendant was arrested he possessed a New York State benefit card bearing the name Reginald McBride.” The birth date on it was different from the original one the jail said McBride provided.

McBride went before a judge again Wednesday at the Capital Judicial Center via video link from the Kennebec County jail to hear the amended complaint. McBride also was told of two new charges against him, both charging aggravated trafficking in scheduled drugs.

That complaint lists 12 aliases for McBride: Reginald Lamont McBride, Reginald Lamonte McBride, Reginald Lamonte McBride Jr., Reginald L. McBride, Manny McBride, Reggie McBride, Benjamin McBride, Kweisha McBride, Reginald Washington, Anthony Walker, Reggie and Sonny.

McBride was one of four people arrested Sunday night after an altercation in the parking lot at the store in the Marketplace at Augusta, just off Civic Center Drive.

Investigators say the dispute was about money owed by some of the people involved and that it was apparently drug-related.

McBride was the only one wounded, and not by bullets, but by the butt of a gun during a fight that ensued after the four shots were fired and people got out of the two vehicles that had been parked side by side.

The incident ended after two legally armed bystanders intervened.

McBride, who left the scene, was arrested shortly afterward on Mayflower Road in Augusta.

At McBride’s first court hearing, held Monday, Cavanaugh told the judge authorities had doubts about the name, Social Security number and date of birth that McBride had provided.

“As I stand here today, I don’t know that this person is who he says he is,” Cavanaugh said in court, adding that results from fingerprints taken at the jail were being sent to the national database.

The affidavit by Kelly Hooper, a special agent with the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency, indicates police had suspected McBride of dealing drugs in the area for several months.

It says he sold a gram of cocaine on March 1 for $100 from an apartment on Northern Avenue; and sold a gram of heroin for $200 on April 6 at a store in Gardiner.

The transactions were “controlled drug purchases,” Hooper wrote.

The national identification center indicated that McBride used aliases and Social Security numbers from Virginia, New York and Maryland.

The affidavit was part of the information submitted to support the newer charges of aggravated trafficking against McBride. They indicate that he was convicted on Oct. 25, 1996, in Fairfax County (Virginia) Circuit Court of possessing cocaine with intent to distribute.

On Monday, McBride was ordered held in lieu of $50,000 bail on charges of aggravated trafficking in heroin and reckless conduct with a firearm, all in connection with Sunday’s events.

Police said they found a 42-gram block of heroin on McBride when they searched him.

Samantha Tupper, a 24-year-old Augusta woman arrested with McBride, is being held on a charge of violating probation and a new charge of furnishing heroin, is likely to be in front of a judge on Friday.

On Wednesday, Justice Robert Mullen ordered McBride held on an additional $50,000 bail on the new trafficking charges.

Cavanaugh sought the high bail, saying McBride had convictions in Maryland, New York, and Virginia.

“The flight risk is really high and the conduct is extreme,” Cavanaugh said.

Mullen said the bail could be reviewed once an attorney is appointed to represent McBride, which Mullen asked the court clerk to do immediately.

At Wednesday’s hearing, McBride, who was wearing a one-piece orange jail uniform, seemed to shake his head from side to side, indicating he disagreed with the identification of him as Reginald L. McBride.

Thomas Tilton, attorney of the day for in-custody defendants, objected to the name change on the court paperwork, and Mullen said he would revisit it if the attorney appointed chose to raise it as an issue.

Tilton also said McBride indicated he had yet to be permitted a phone call from the jail. Mullen said the appointed attorney should contact him if McBride was not permitted a call.

Cavanaugh told the judge that any call delay might have been connected to the problem confirming McBride’s identity.

Outside the courtroom, Cavanaugh said authorities have been able to confirm that Frankie Dejesus, a co-defendant arrested at Wal-Mart, had provided authorities with his correct name.

Cavanaugh said Dejesus had been carrying both New York and Massachusetts driver’s licenses in that name.

Dejesus, 27, of Rochester, New York, is charged with reckless conduct with a firearm and aggravated assault. He is being held at the Kennebec County jail in lieu of $25,000 bail.

A woman arrested with Dejesus at Wal-Mart, Diana Davis, 28, of Rochester, New York, was charged with aggravated assault, Class B. Her bail was set at $5,000, and she remained at the jail on Wednesday.

Betty Adams — 621-5631

[email protected]

Twitter: @betadams

Only subscribers are eligible to post comments. Please subscribe or to participate in the conversation. Here’s why.

Use the form below to reset your password. When you've submitted your account email, we will send an email with a reset code.